The Bull Tractor Company, founded in 1913 in Minneapolis, MN, revolutionized the farm tractor business by introducing the first small tractor. The tractor's size and price ($335), which was less than the price of a good team of draft horses, matched the needs and budget of the average farmer. In 1914, Bull sold more tractors than any other brand, but soon had trouble sourcing a reliable supply of motors.
On July 10, 1914, The Toro Motor Company was founded to build engines for The Bull Tractor Company. John Samuel Clapper, a Bull Tractor executive and co-founder of The Toro Motor Company, was named the company's first president. Toro's first plant was located at 570 North Prior Avenue in St. Paul, MN.
When Bull Tractor's sales and financial fortunes soured in 1916, Toro quickly adapted in order to survive. The company built engines and other components for both the farm and truck industries, as well as steam steering winches for merchant marine ships during the war.
Toro introduces its first product built specifically for golf, a power fairway roller based on a Bull tractor frame.